Once VAT Registered in the UK you have an obligation to file VAT returns and pay the VAT due to the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). These are normally filed every 3 months and is dependant on your accounting period or quarter end date.
The VAT Return records the following;
- Your total sales and purchases
- The amount of VAT you owe
- The amount of VAT you can reclaim
- What your VAT refund from HMRC is
- Your EC Sales to other European countries
Once you are VAT registered even if you make no sales in the VAT period you must still file a return to let the HMRC know you have no VAT to pay.
Final VAT Returns
You must submit a final VAT return if you cancel your VAT registration and no longer wish to trade.